Prickly Holly and the Poison Ivy

Gardeners beware it’s a jungle out there! Hazards exist in every walk of life but if your going to choose Gardening as a career or a hobby then there are a few things you need to be wary of.

Dried Ilex or Holly leaves can be a gardeners nightmare, fortunately with leaf suckers and shredders you can tackle this thorny problem. All evergreens will lose a large amount of their leaves during the summer months and whilst cleaning under shrubs and bushes best beware of the prickly holly leaf, tough gloves and lashings of courage is the only way to deal with dried holly leaf spines.

mens best friend

Man’s best friend maybe cute and loveable but Gardeners beware faeces and urine, not something you want to have to deal with on a daily basis.

Gloves a must, doggy bags at the ready. Every good gardener will carry a range of tools and accessories in a gardeners trug or basket.

Whilst working in the garden, ensure hand sanitizer, wet wipes and a small eye wash are at hand!

Grasses make a great display in mixed borders soft delicate mounds of brightly coloured grass in the spring and long flowing arches of leaves and flowers in the Autumn but beware of their sharp edges. Clearing around grasses in Autumn needs to be done with caution, lacerations can be painful especially on your fingers or hands so wear protection and take care when handling. September Garden Jobs

Silver foliage always looks great in a garden border contrasting with all the flowers and bold foliage, often delicately cut or frilled silver leaves can also carry a light dust that can also be an irritant. When handling silver foliage shrubs best wear gloves and keep them away from exposed skin. Several plants carry this dusty bloom that can cause shortness of breath if breathed in and rashes in hot sun on your arms and legs. Phlomis (jerusalem sage) and Viburnum rhytidophyllum (Wrinkled Viburnum) are typical example’s of shrubs whose leaves have this coating that falls of when disturbed.

Planting a thicket of thorny shrubs may seem like a great way to keep out trespassers but when it comes to maintaing your hedge your left with a prickly scenario. Great caution is advised as is a strong pair of gauntlet gloves, some plants will irate the skin once they have pierced the flesh and it will vary from one person to the next, personally I find Pyracanthra to be one of the worst but some people will not feel any further irritation.

Poison Ivy a nasty creeping vine that can cause severe blistering and asphyxiation for anyone who suffers an allergy to this troublesome weed. Dried leaves can remain toxic for several years so best avoided at all costs, another reason for wearing gloves and not touching your face or skin whilst working in the Garden.

When Gardening think once think twice, think of health and safety issues affecting you and think about the safety of others around you!

Stephen raised on a farm in Mid Wales, trained in horticulture under apprenticeship with the National Trust and has worked in several prestigious locations around the world. Today as Head gardener for a large private estate on the outskirts of London, Stephen is a keen plantsman, horticulturalist and nature lover. Managing large formal gardens, growing a huge range of fruit, vegetables and homemade produce for the estate residents. Stephen with assistance from a team of professional garden and farm staff, cares for livestock, including cattle, sheep, poultry and horses, completes property maintenance and grounds management.

Stephen believes knowledge is to be shared and thanks to some amazing mentors in his career path hopes to be able to share this knowledge with gardeners like you and your gardening friends! All he asks in return is that you find the time to leave a brief comment and share socially with your friends.

Advertisements

30 Comments Add yours

1. I always worry about poison ivy as the shape does mimic other local plantings. I have poison ivy as a child and it was a total nightmare… WE have prickly holly in front of my home and when I trim it, I’m super careful too.

1. growhort says:

A friend of mine recently had a nasty reaction to poison ivy, so it gave me the idea to raise awareness to the hazards that are so common place in many of our gardens. Thanks for your visit and kind comments.

2. Del says:

What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
    I’ve found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads.

I hope to give a contribution & aid other customers like its aided me.
    Good job.

3. Reblogged this on MARSocial Author Business Enhancement group's Blog.

4. Great post. I love gardening and i love plants as well. Thank you for sharing!

1. growhort says:

Your most welcome I am glad you enjoyed my post and hope you will feel able to drop by again soon. Thanks stephen

5. Tim says:

I have a friend who is absolutely allergic to ivy. Sends her into a very bad rash.

6. wow i never knew that about poison ivy. learn something new everyday!

7. rubbieanne says:

Been wanting to try gardening! I hope i can

8. slickmaster says:

I once used to deal with gardening way back then, when I was in province. And somehow, I learned again after reading this post. Thanks a lot, this is a must-read for every aficionado out there.

9. 3xhcch says:

I acknowledge I do not have a green thumb at all, but I like staying in well-kept gardens for its calming effect. Allergy is really a big problem with a lot of people so be careful. And yes, dogs should ideally not be allowed in gardens. – Fred

10. That’s really informative gardening tips. The grass culture is very popular here in my place. People maintain well trimmed and healthy grasses in lawns.

11. yan says:

good thing hollies and ivies don’t thrive in our weather but we do have our share of prickly garden weeds! >XD

12. Rebecca Wong says:

One of my uncle is into landscaping/gardening business back in Melbourne, and they have beautiful flowers in the garden. Personally, almost zero knowledge in gardening, but thanks for sharing all the knowledge. =)

13. sinyee0504 says:

Never know the knowledge of gardening. Hmm… Good to know you love this much.

14. franckxethee says:

You should really gear up well when it comes to gardening. Aside from thorny plants, you can also get your allergies triggered.

15. I have to admit that most of this advice goes over my head as I was born not with a green thumb, but more like black, LOL. I must admit though, there is so much to learn about gardening that I think people often over look the “dangerous” and unpleasant stuff, so your post is great for that!

16. Vanessa Ally says:

Great tips for not forgetting to wear gloves when removing the silver foliage, and I agree dogs have no job in the gardens because yet they are animals and flowers and gardens should be preserved.

1. growhort says:

Thanks for your kind comments, I often forget to wear gloves myself and end up regretting it. Hope to hear from you again soon, enjoy my future articles. Stephen

17. I used to get this really painful, burning rash and blame the ants on it. It seems that we have a plant growing in our backyard that has been causing it to me. Sometimes it’s the little, inoffensive looking causing all the trouble.

1. growhort says:

Totally agree it’s surprising that so many plants can cause us irritations! Appreciate your visit and hope you will find my future articles of interest. Thanks very much. Stephen

18. In India, the people do lots of gardening work if there is a small land, they used organic method.

1. growhort says:

Thats great to hear, more and more people are choosing to go organic in the UK! Thanks for dropping by.

19. Tiffany Yong says:

In Singapore, land is scarce and precious, so I will never really get the luxury of staying in a place with a big garden unless I grow rich (or go overseas one day!) Love the dog!

1. growhort says:

Thanks Tiffany you never now perhaps one day you will get to travel, but it is surprising what can be achieved with a small garden, backyard, balcony or even a window ledge. Thanks very much for dropping by it is much appreciated, I plan to write a blog post about managing a small garden or containers really soon! Hope you visit again.

20. I have blog in gardening and have some knowledge about this subject matter. But, still, I want some other facets of maintaining a garden, for flowers and veggies too. Fernando Ceballos Lachica

1. growhort says:

Thats great to hear! Do you also blog about you gardening? Would love to check it out if you do always interested in reading other bloggers work. Thanks for your visit, come by anytime for a chat always happy to share tips and answer any gardening questions you may have.

21. pamela jones says:

phlomis is troublesome, cut a bush back once and struggled to breathe after.

1. growhort says:

Please take care with shrubs that have that silvery dust like coating, can be particularly nasty for asthmatics and anyone who suffers from garden allergies.