Heptacodium miconioides – Butterflies enjoy the Jasmine scent of Seven Sons

The multi-stemmed tiered branches of Heptacodium miconioides are a fine example, of this unusual, fast-growing bushy tree. In early Autumn the branches are covered with white blossoms that attract butterflies for over a month, starting in September until early October. When the flowers fade to reveal deep pink calyx that persist well into late autumn.

Leaves that stay glossy green for most of the year turn a gorgeous burnt amber in the Autumn accompanied by pale peeling bark, it is worth considering growing as a multi-stemmed shrub to show off its stems.

Behind our fine example is a Wisteria that clamber onto its shrubby branches to flower in spring, and at its side stands a proud Abutilon vitifolium, who’s lilac flowers also put on a stunning display.

First discovered in 1907 by E.H. Wilson in China. This stunning tree or multi-stemmed shrub stood largely forgotten until the early 1980’s when it was rediscovered by the American Botanical Plant Hunting Expedition.

Seven Sons
As a large multi-stemmed the Seven Sons makes great backdrop to any garden border.
Heptacodium miconioides
Enjoy the Jasmine scent of Seven Sons.
Heptacodium miconioides Seven Sons
Attractive to Bees, Butterflies and even Hummingbirds.
Seven Sons
Commonly referred to as Seven Sons due to the number of single flowers in each cluster.
Enjoy the Jasmine scent of Seven Sons
The deep glossy leaves have the look and texture of an evergreen and yet it is deciduous.
IMG_1164
The stems of this large shrub are light tan and have peeling bark both very attractive through the winter months.
Peeling bark of the Seven Sons
Peeling bark of the Seven Sons.
Grow as a tree or a multi-stemmed shrub
Grow as a tree or a multi-stemmed flowering shrub
A beautiful large shrub that deserves to be planted ornamentally in any Garden.
A beautiful large shrub that deserves to be planted as an ornamental shrub in any Garden.
Seven Sons Pink Calyx
Clearly showing the Seven Sons Pink Calyx that follow the flowers.
2014-10-01 16.41.31
The heavy laden branches arch under the weight of the jasmine scented flowers.
2014-10-01 16.41.36
Seven flowers on each clusters giving it’s unusual common name.

Recently introduced as an ornamental tree or shrub in botanical collections throughout the World, this beautiful multi-stemmed shrub or small tree is not bothered by pests or diseases!

H. miconioides is considered rare in China, with very few growing wild but thanks to the Botanical expeditions that helps so many genera survive it can now be found thriving as an ornamental in many stately homes and gardens worldwide.

Advertisements

46 Comments Add yours

1. I love your photos and descriptions of your flower garden… I used to be an avid gardener and love seeing what people are doing in their yard…

1. growhort says:

Thanks I hope you will feel able to return and enjoy my blog as we pass from season to season.

2. Manu Kalia says:

Lovely flowers, I have a cousin who loves flowers too.

1. growhort says:

Thanks for drooping by, hope your cousin gets the opportunity to read my blog too!

3. Karen says:

It’s good to know that the plant is not bothered by pests or disease. If given a chance I like to take care this shrub of flowering plant

1. growhort says:

I am hoping to propagate from hardwood cuttings late this year I will be sure to update my blog and let you know how it goes.

4. I checked out Seven Sons and it’s really beautiful!!

1. growhort says:

Thanks for dropping by, the more I learn about the shrub the more I like it.

5. Vanessa Ally says:

I bet the flavor of this beautiful shrub is so pleasant and adorable. I also like the fact that this multi-stemmed shrub is not bothered by pests or diseases which is actually great for its maintenance. Would love to have miconioides in my garden, too.

1. growhort says:

Hoping to propagate later this year will let you know how it goes by updating my blog. Thanks Stephen

6. Seven Sons, hmm ! I see these in India at many places, not know that they are similar one, as they like same as you have here

1. growhort says:

This is a rare shrub and no longer found growing wild there are however many flowering shrubs that may resemble the seven sons to the untrained eye. I would be very interested to see a photograph of the flowering shrubs you mention this way we can establish a proper identification. Thanks Stephen

7. slickmaster says:

Some rare plants are making things better than the others. I wonder if it will fare up to the climate in tropical countries though. Stephen must have done a great job out there.

8. kylie says:

Great knowledge of the flowering plant. It has a very interesting common name which I like very much.

9. sinyee0504 says:

Very informative post. I love this plant much. It is beautiful!

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

Thanks for taking the time to discover more about the Jasmine scented Seven Sons.

10. 3xhcch says:

I have only heard of Wisteria on “Desperate Housewives” but I have not actually seen one. 🙂 So graceful those leaves and blossoms! – Fred

Liked by 1 person

Thanks sounds like I should feature the Wisteria next lol

11. nicol says:

I like how this plant blossoms, it blossoms in an interesting way.

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

I love the way the flowers are followed by the crimson calyx very stunning.

12. Tiffany Yong says:

Is there a reason why this multi-stemmed shrub is not bothered by pests or diseases? Any special qualities that the plant has and others don’t?

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

Some plants are like that it’s not that they have a built in resistance, it is just that they do not have the sap and soft young growth that pest and diseases are attracted to. Thanks for popping in.

13. This is the first time I heard about this interesting shrub. Hope they grow in tropic climate.

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

It might be quite difficult to track down, The Seven Sons shrub is considered a plant of merit and gaining popularity as an ornamental, now almost extinct in the wild Gardens and botanical collections are becoming it’s saviour. I am going to try and propagate some this fall it would be great to help it become more widely known.

14. Judging from your photos, Stephen has done quite an excellent job! Do they plan to expand operations to other countries?

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

It all ready has a presence in many botanical collections throughout the world and with some research you may be able to track it down. Try searching Plant Finder online for more details of a stockist near you.

15. The wisteria is the most beautiful plant, always wanted to grow it but does not have strong enough support (trellis) for it. It also stands the test of time – just getting more beautiful and gracious as it ages and grows !

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

I will be featuring Wisteria real soon, if there are others plants you’d like more information on be sure to let me know and I will add them to my growing collection. Thanks Stephen

16. What a beautiful diverse flower! To make so many colourful changes through the year and then be surrounded by butterflies! How wonderful that would be to see!

17. This is a new plant for me. I love the idea of butterflies being atracted to it 🙂

18. Loudthinkin says:

Wow… I would love to get that plant and have butterflies flutter around my garden! Don’t know if it’s available in india

19. jahbella says:

A very interesting article! Such knowledge! Would love to see more pictures Thanks for sharing!

20. jahbella says:

a post that could only have been done by a true expert in his field! Such knowledge! Thanks for sharing!

21. hannizenvato says:

It would be a wonderful sight to see the butterflies hovering around the tree

Liked by 1 person

22. Ling Tan says:

Hi, such an interesting blog! Thanks for taking time to share your knowledge – I wish I have the green fingers to make plants blossom, but only the hardiest plants ever survive with me – and even then, barely!

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

Thanks Ling, never give up by following a few basic rules you can improve your gardening skills. The biggest mistake is killing plants with kindness, once you understand what they need to survive it is very easy.

23. rochkirstin says:

Wow! Thing like this is such a rarity. Would you know where in China this can be seen? We’re going there early next year.

1. growhort says:

Considered rare this species is threatened by habitat loss, and only nine groups are known to exist in the wild, all of them in Anhui and Zhejiang provinces. The species is under second class national protection in China. However, the plant is also widely grown as an ornamental around the world, so you are more likely to see it in a botanical collection than in the wild.

24. rubbieanne says:

Wow thank you for giving me ideas about them. Totally happy

1. growhort says:

Your most welcome, I shall be featuring more interesting and unusual plants, hope you will drop by again soon. Thanks Stephen

25. franckxethee says:

It’s nice that the expedition rediscovered the Heptacodium miconiodes. It’s also nice that they also discovered how to make the grow as an ornamental plant.

1. growhort says:

I agree, we take for granted the work that plant hunters have done and continue to do behind the scenes to help conserve rare and unusual plants, trees and shrubs. Thanks Stephen

26. Very nice of you to share this information about this shrub. First time to know this flowering plant.

Liked by 1 person

1. growhort says:

Me too! I have worked in Horticulture since I was 16, over 28 years and this is the first time I have seen or heard of the stunning shrub. Your comments is much appreciated as always.

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s a flowering shrub which blooms during the month of May?

September in the UK.